Wednesday, October 17, 2012

These are my thoughts on BYU football at this moment in time.  And yes, I did send this to Tom Holmoe, BYU Athletic Director. 

"Mr. Holmoe,
Why hasn't Riley Nelson been benched for his mistakes?  Why are we still seeing him as the starting quarterback? 
It's sad when BYU fans, who are supposed to be Christ-like are wishing someone will make a season-ending hit on Riley Nelson becasue that is THE only way Riley will be taken out of the game.  The coaches don't take him out.  They don't bench him for mistakes.  Instead they praise him.  Instead they call it "grit and determination".  Instead they put him in again and again and again.  And we lose again and again and again. 
Riley is a senior.  Yes.  Is he a leader?  NO!  He is selfish.  He stays in the game wanting "one more chance" and instead he throws a pick 6.  He doesn't pull himself out and let James Lark, who has waited his turn for 7 years, excel.  He claims he can play and begs to be put in!!  He is not a leader.  I don't want my boys to be like him.  Does he have grit?  Yes.  Is he using it wisely?  No. 
Why haven't the coaches put him in his place?  They bow down to him because Bronco is a "fan"!  Be a "fan" of your players when they're in the NFL - not when you're supposed to be their coach!  Be a coach!  Bench him!!  Heaven knows Jake Heaps was benched for a LOT less last year!!
I'm a frustrated fan.  I hold season tickets this year because I know Riley is gone and I want to continue going to football games.  But......I don't like the way it's going.  I don't like feeling like Riley is the "golden child" and can do NO wrong when his mistakes have cost us at least 3 games this year and 1 last year!!  Riley can do wrong!  He is not playing smart.  He is being selfish.  Bronco is not being a good head coach.  Yes, Doman is the offensive coach, but if the offense isn't working it's the "head" coach who steps in and puts a stop to this nonsense! 
I fault Bronco for being a "fan" of Riley instead of being a head coach.  I fault Doman for letting his quarterback tell him "one more time" and giving up 6 points for that "one more time".  I fault Riley for being selfish and not stepping down and pulling himself out of the game when he knows full well he's not 100%!! 
Please bench the kid!  He's making a fool out of the coaches, his teammates and himself.  Ultimately, he's hurting the image of BYU.  The image of all those who have come to BYU and made BYU football what it is today.  It's a disservice to the school.  With all the media coverage we receive, don't you think we ought to put our best foot forward.  We aren't. 
I'm hoping there'll be a change and someone will put Riley in his place.  And inform Bronco what a head coach ought to do.  Give this defense some help!  Because of them and their hard work, they've kept us from being the laughing stock of college football!
Please let me know you've received this email.
Sincerely,
Andrea B Person"

My brothers talk.  My Dad and I talk.  I read the newspaper.  And I'm pretty opinionated about this subject.  I'm tired of the talking and wanted to DO something about it.  So....I wrote a letter.  One of the many I think I'll be writing.  Maybe next time I'll go to the Cougar Wednesday night show and hope to get on the radio with Greg Rubell?  We'll see.

No comments: